Diet is very important, of course, but not just because eating a significant percentage of fruits and vegetables helps us maintain an appropriate weight. Eating right also helps keep our minds sharp. Often times, when building our emergency food stash, we neglect to include survival foods that don’t just feed us… but also keep us healthy in a crisis.
This is essential because, during a crisis the decisions we make could be a matter of life or death. What we put in our bodies will influence the choices we make.
In a crisis, you’re going to want your focus, memory and mood to be at optimal levels.
Here are nine foods and beverages that will keep you at your physical and mental best at all times.
9 Super Survival Foods
1. Sweet Potatoes. These root vegetables have natural sugar and are a great source of magnesium. Sweet potatoes’ natural sugar means you won’t be getting any blood sugar spikes, which lead to fatigue. Magnesium is known for promoting relaxation and reducing stress. Sweet potatoes are also very easy to grow and just a few plants can produce a generous harvest. Perfect for your survival garden.
2. Almonds. This nut has huge health benefits such as preventing cognitive decline and sustaining memory. And they have a 2-year shelf life so they’re perfect to add to your emergency food stockpile.
3. Berries. Loaded with fiber, vitamins and phytochemicals, blueberries, strawberries and cranberries contain natural antioxidants that help your body deal with stress. They may also help slow age-related memory loss. But stockpiling berries is difficult considering they are perishable. That’s why 4Patriots recommends this berries survival food kit. The key is using a slow dehydration method making these berries good for a a whopping 25 years!
4. Fish. One of the greatest things found in certain fish (and fish oil) is omega-3 fatty acids. There’s a healthy dose of them in fish such as salmon. They help preserve brain function and have been linked to positive emotional health. So be sure to add some canned sardines to your emergency food stash! They have a 3-5 year shelf life.
5. Leafy Green Veggies. Vegetables such as collard greens, turnip greens, kale, spinach and broccoli are rich in Vitamin B, which boosts focus and memory. These vegetables are also filled with carotenoids, which protect the brain and boost brain power. They also make for a great base for smoothies. Leafy greens are easy to grow in most regions so they make a good addition to your survival garden too.
6. Green Tea. This China-based tea is filled with antioxidants. It’s also a good source of natural energy. It’s proven to help with alertness and is associated with an increase in creativity. In a crisis, creative problem solving will be very important.
7. Water. Of all the beverages you could drink, this is the one your body needs the most. In fact, you’ll die without it. And with not enough of it, you’ll suffer from dehydration, which can make you crabby and confused. Water helps your mind gain clarity. To be sure you have enough purified water in a crisis, we recommend the Patriot Pure Ultimate Water Filtration System. It removes up to 99.9% of dangerous contaminants and filters up to 5,000 gallons of water before needing a replacement filter.
8. Eggs. Eggs are a great source of Vitamin B, which is a mood booster. Even more, eggs carry Vitamin D, which helps to fight depression. So eggs work on both the defensive and offensive sides to ensure a stable and positive mood. If chickens aren’t an option for you or you’re looking for something you can take with you to “bug-out,” many survival food companies carry egg kits that have a long shelf-life. We actually have a Scrambled Egg Kit available in our store with eggs that are good for up to 10 years! Perfect to serve for breakfast or use in your favorite recipes.
9. Beans. Peas, lentils, beans and other legumes provide plenty of protein while being low in fat. They are also good sources of iron, potassium and phosphorus. A high-fiber diet could help eliminate toxic compounds and carcinogens from our bodies.
Stockpiling food for a crisis is a great idea, but it’s difficult to do with fruits and vegetables. And that’s unfortunate because just when you need it most to perform at your best, produce will be difficult to find.
The good news is that survival food companies like 4Patriots provide fruit and veggie emergency food kits that are good for 25 years!
The tasty and nutritious Fruit, Veggie & Snack Kit by 4Patriots includes Freeze-Dried Blueberries, Broccoli, Corn, Green Beans, Pineapple and Strawberries, plus Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding and Sweetly Coated Banana Chips. Delicious!